June 21, 2014
Read up on the MR340 race!
Ground Crews refill a six man racing canoe. photo copyright by Dave Marner
A collection of photos, articles and videos about the MR340
2014 UPDATE - Race postponed to August 12-15
The Missouri American Water MR340 has been postponed to August 12-15 due to river forecasts projected to be in flood stage from Waverly to Boonville. Here's the thread on the Rivermiles forum.
Here's the message from race organizer Scott Mansker:
"After consulting with our Water Patrol, Coast Guard, Swift Water Rescue Teams and First Responders along the route, the decision has been made to postpone the MR340 to the designated make up date of August 12-15, 2014. Attached is a link to the form that all paddlers need to complete. Very short form to tell us if you plan on August or wish to defer to 2015. Please fill this out as soon as your family can reach a decision. We are profoundly disappointed that things have fallen this way. It's enormously difficult to plan the race and then re-plan it all over again. We know it's also very difficult for you and your families. But it's the easier alternative than the potentially dangerous situations paddlers would find themselves in on a flooded river, at night, full of debris. We will keep you informed as the August race approaches. Thank you all for understanding. "
Reschedule Link: http://fs10.formsite.com/KevinPay.../MR340Voucher/index.html"
Since 2007, Missouri River Relief has been a partner in the MR340 race - a 340 mile paddling race across the state of Missouri. Racers purchase super cool race stickers and all of that money goes to support our efforts. We bring as many safety boat crews as we can and help up and down the race course.
The Missouri American Water MR340 is a true community event - a community created by the river. To witness the determination of the racers, the grit of the ground crews and the hospitality of the volunteers is a truly inspiring thing. We're proud to be part of this amazing event that has changed the way our state looks at our river. Especially thanks to the Rivermiles crew for putting on such an amazing event and Missouri American Water for sponsoring the race.
Below is an archive of articles and info about the race going back several years. Enjoy!
General Race Info and Race Tracking
- Live Race Updates and Tracking on raceowl.com
- MR340 Race Forum (all kinds of interesting photos and stories)
- MR340 Facebook Group
- Rivermiles website
- Race Course Map (pdf)
- 2014 Race Roster (400 boats)
- 2014 Race Dispatches - eye-opening paddler's guide to doing this race
- Race Records
- Past Results
- Rivermiles store
- MR340 DVDs for sale (to benefit Missouri River Relief)
2014 News Articles
- Columbia Tribune - "River Race Sweeps away Columbia residents" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ed Czebrinski)
- Kansas City Star - "In handcrafted canoe Missouri man and grandson will take river's challenge" - June 22, 2014 (Racers Ken Wodrich and Keaton Schroeder - Team "We Got A Leak")
- Springfield News-Leader - "340 miles in a kayak" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ian Rogers)
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Lee's Summit paddlers join river adventure" - July 3, 2014 (Racers Jane Monroe and Jody Carroll - "Blistered Sisters")
- Public News Service - "Paddlers Prepped to Preserve Clean Water" - July 7, 2014
- ActionHub - "A Race for Conservation: The Missouri American Water MR340" - June 25, 2014
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "Missouri River float trips join St. Charles wine country menu" - June 14, 2014
This year was one of the most pleasant races in recent memory, with milder summer temperatures. Lower flows made for a slower race in general, but records were still broken.
2013 Race Results
- Spreadsheet of race results (Google Docs)
Before Race -
- The best article ever written about the MR340? Missouri Conservationist - "Finding Flow on the Mighty Mo" by veteran MR340 paddler Brett Dufur - June 17, 2013
- Dallas Morning News - "White Rock Navy Gears Up for MR340" - July 20, 2013 (interview)
- SUP the Mag - "Alex Linnell takes on the MR340" - July 17, 2013 (interview)
- Columbia Tribune - "Racer ready to settle score in MR340" - July 20, 2013
- Pierre Capital Journal - "Pierre kayaker takes love of sport to Missouri race" - Feb. 25, 2013
During/After Race -
- Kansas City Star - "More than 500 people begin Missouri River race" - July 24, 2013
- Columbia Missourian - "MR340 Race tests Missouri River paddlers' endurance" - July 25, 2013
- St. James Leader Journal - "Mitchell finishes 27th out of 265 at MR340" - July 31, 2013
- St. Charles Patch - "Fans cheer as paddler completes 340 mile race down Missouri River" - July 26, 2013
- Video slideshows by Judith Bailey • "Those Who Paddled the MR340" • "Just Terry from the start to finish" • "What did they say at the MR340" • "MR340 From the River"
- Shane Perrin video shorts • "Checkpoint 1" • "Checkpoint 2" • "Night Checkin" • "Dodging Barges" • "Making Camp" • "Sunrise on the Missouri" • "Prepping for Night Travel" • "180 miles in" • "2013 MR340 Finish Line"
- Race Start at Kaw Point Park
- Bill Pollock interviews for Missourinet - Intro • Joe Mattern, Ground Crew • Virginia and Dodd Mixed Tandem • Melanie and Alan Mixed Tandem
- This is from 2011, but it's awesome! Documentary about Shane Perrin's record breaking SUP race - "Stand Up Guy"
This year was dominated by the heat. 3-digit temps on several days. 580 paddlers signed up for the race. About 475 started it and approximately 300 finished. Those that finished used all kinds of innovative tricks to keep cool, from jumping into the river at checkpoints to wearing tube socks full of ice around their necks. You'll see as you read the stories below.
Below are a bunch of links to stories, photos and results from the race. Enjoy!
(If you know of some good video, photos or stories about the race, please email us and we'll post it here)
2012 Race Results
- Racers submit photos on the forum
- Official race photographer Cindy Hines slideshows (you can purchase her photos here)
- Mingle: race start photos
- Kansas City Star: MR340 race start Slideshow
- Racer submitted photos on Facebook
- Racer Sam Cebulske's video of race start
- Racer Dick Brumley of Lewistown, MT, at the race start
- KSHB-TV: Missouri River 340 begins with 500 paddlers heading east (very cool aerial footage)
- KCTV -5: Racers battle water, sweltering heat
- FOX-4: Paddlers shove off for Missouri River 340
- KPLR-11: MR340 Canoe Race ends in St. Charles (great video and an interview with racer Joe Zellner)
- Slideshow video from Baton Rouge racer Terry Ginn's ground crew: Part 1 • Part 2
- "Stand Up Guy" Trailer - footage from 2011 MR340 of standup paddler Shane Perrin.
- A Classic - from 2009: MR340 in 10 minutes (by Aaron Waller)
- National Geographic: Top 100 American Adventures
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine: Finding Flow- One paddler's journey in the MR340, the world’s longest nonstop paddling race; an article and photos by veteran 340 racer Brett Dufur
- SUP Magazine: MR 340: 340 Miles, 100 Degree Heat, Two Standup Paddlers
- SUP Magazine: Standup Paddling the World’s Longest River Race
- Kansas City Star: Big Muddy river race is serious about the fun
- Columbia Missourian: Paddlers battle to finish MR340 in high heat
- Columbia Missourian: Columbia pediatrician set to race homemade kayak in MR340
- Columbia Missourian: Maine man returns to race MR340
- Columbia Tribune: Paddlers sweat it out in annual race
- SE Missourian: Local paddler competes in MR340 endurance race
- St. Louis Post Dispatch: Endurance athletes race kayaks in Missouri River
- Gasconade County Republican: Surviving the Missouri River… (…340 that is) (by race volunteer Dave "The River Slave" Marner)
- Kawartha Lakes This Week: Father-daughter team undertake challenge of a lifetime about Carrie and Bill Lanning
- Cass County Democrat-Missourian: Friends remember co-worker who battled cancer about racers Mike Kleinfelter and Kevin Buerge
- Pedal the River - blog by pedal-drive racer Andrew Bates
- Fitness Paddling - 5 Years of Missouri River 340 Race in Reports, Pictures and GPS Tracks - a collection of links related the the MR340 compiled by veteran racer Marek Uliasz
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2014 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.