June 21, 2016
Read up on the MR340 race!
12th Annual Missouri American Water MR340
- August 8-11, 2017
Kansas City, KS, to St. Charles, MO
A collection of photos, articles and videos about the MR340
Since 2007, Missouri River Relief has been a partner in the MR340 race - a 340 mile paddling race across the state of Missouri. Racers purchase super cool race stickers and all of that money goes to support our efforts. We bring as many safety boat crews as we can and help up and down the race course.
2016 Missouri American Water MR340 - Chaos after the storm in Waverly. Photo copyright 2016 by Kathryn Cawdrey, courtesy of the Columbia Missourian.
The Missouri American Water MR340 is a true community event - a community created by the river. To witness the determination of the racers, the grit of the ground crews and the hospitality of the volunteers is a truly inspiring thing. We're proud to be part of this amazing event that has changed the way our state looks at our river. Especially thanks to the Rivermiles crew for putting on such an amazing event and Missouri American Water for sponsoring the race.
Below is an archive of articles and info about the race going back several years. Enjoy!
General Race Info
- Register for the 2017 Race (filling up fast!)
- Rivermiles website
- Race Course Map (pdf)
- 2017 Race Roster
- 2016 Race Dispatches - eye-opening paddler's guide to doing this race
- MR340 Race Forum - A community forum powered by and for racers.
- Race Records
- Past Results (an updated dropbox spreadsheet)
- Link to track all river stage projections on the race course (bit.ly/mr340stages)
Live Race Tracking
- Live Race Updates and Tracking on raceowl.com
- RaceOwl Race Map, with automated tracking for many of the racers.
- MR340 Facebook Group
- #MR340 on Facebook
- #MR340 on Twitter
- Rivermiles store
- MR340 DVDs for sale (to benefit Missouri River Relief)
- Purchase "MR340 First Time Finisher" by race veteran Steve Jackson (benefiting Missouri River Relief)
2016 Race Links Archive
This year was the biggest yet and no cancellations or flood threat! 550 paddlers in 370 boats started the race and 391 paddlers in 262 boats finished.
Towards the end of the first day was a quick but intense storm that knocked a bunch of people out of their boats. By helping each other, most racers got back in the race and heading downstream before sunset.
This was the first year that an all female boat was the first to hit the finish line (in fact first time a female was in the overall winning boat). The six woman boat "Boatylicious" took the honors with a time of 38:22. The youngest 340 racer ever, 11 year-old Konner Norman was in a tandem with his dad, Matt. The oldest 340 participant ever, 81 year-old Dale Sanders "The Greybeard Adventurer", was part of a 3-man SUP team with Shane Perrin and Jerico LeFort. This was the largest SUP field yet, with 17 starting the race and 13 finishing.
News Articles from the 2016 Race - July 19-22, 2016
- Columbia Missourian -"Columbia paddlers prepare for their first MR340 race" by Katryn Cawdry and Jessica Heim-Brouwer, July 18, 2016 • "Despite extreme heat and storm, MR340 paddlers go with the flow" by Jessica Heim-Brouwer, July 20, 2016; "Supported on ground and on river, MR340 paddlers don't race alone" by Katryn Cawdry, July 22, 2016;
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "All-women team paddles 340 miles in 38 hours to win Missouri River race" by Kristen Taketa, July 20, 2016 • "
- Columbia Tribune - "Canoeists, kayakers enduring 340-mile race on Missouri River" by Roger McKinney, July 20, 2016
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine - "Women’s team claims Missouri River 340 canoe ultra-marathon" - by Dave Shively, July 28, 2016
- SUP Racer News - "Inspirational: Bart De Zwart, Joanne Hamilton-Vale and 14 Other Bold Paddlers Conquer the 547km “MR340” Race in Missouri"
- Jefferson City News-Tribune - "River Endurance Race Returns" - by Jeff Haldiman - July 18, 2016
- St. Joseph News-Press - "Area Men Canoe Across Missouri River" (dumbest MR340 headline ever?) - by Cody Thorn, July 28, 2016
- SUP the Mag - "81 Year Old Completes MR340 Race on Three-Man SUP" - by Phil White, July 30, 2016.
- Springfield News-Leader - "Republic boy, 11, youngest to paddle 340-mile Missouri River race" - by Wes Johnson, August 11, 2016. AND "Local Paddlers prepare for grueling 340 mile race across Missouri" - by Wes Johnson, July 13, 2016 (About team "Gemini" #2116 - Dylan McHardy and Jim Short. )
- "Paddlers pushing limits in endurance racers" - by Phil White - SUP the Mag - June 30, 2016 - mentions veteran SUP paddler Shane Perrin and his four-man, four generation SUP team "Keep Standing" featuring Dale Sanders (record for oldest man to paddle entire Mississippi River Source to Sea), Jerico Lefort and Nathan Woods.
- "Lauren Rodriguez to enter grueling 340 mile race across Missouri: The MR340" - by Allie Brown, April 4, 2016, SUP Connect
- "Alton man kayaking for a cause" - by Scott Cousins, July 16, 2016 - Alton Telegraph. About Logan Sims.
- "Local men compete in Missouri River race" - by David Merrill, Maryville Daily Forum, July 25, 2016. About Madison Davis & Tom Fletchall, Team "It's All Water" #8793
- "Boatylicious for the win!" - video of Boatylicious, first to hit the finish line - courtesy of Missouri American Water
- "MR340 2016" - Another excellent video by Danelle Haake about Team Donut & Maple Syrup (Jojo Newbold & Hogan Haake)
- "MR340 Canoe Race - Dave & Dan's Big Muddy Madness 2016" - Vlog by James Dixson
- MR340 video PSA for race finish by Discover St. Charles
- "Missouri River 340 is underway as canoes race from KC to St. Charles" - July 19, 2016 - FOX 4 - Kansas City
- Race Start Prep with Team Boatylicious
- GoPro View of Solo Start
- Team and Tandem Start
Blogs & Such
- "Greystroked and the MR340 Race" - by TJ Holman, TwoBoardDudes.com - about the SUP Team
- "2016 MR340 Post DNF Thoughts" - from the 100+ Project
- "Hot & Long 2016 MR340 - Race Report" by Marek Uliaz, Fitness Paddling
- "Training For the MR340 Race" by Dave Haessig about his team "Paraquad Wellness Center" with Joan Twillman and Jan Cook.
- "Garmin Prepares for the MR340" - sponsored post.
- "2016 MR340: Finding a New Family on the River - Part 1" • Part 2 • Part 3 - Three part blog by veteran SUPer Shane Perrin from Team Greystroked.
- Missouri River Relief photos on Flickr
- Official Race Photographer - Cindy Hiles Photography
- Instagram #MR340
- Columbia Tribune Slideshow
- Photos from ThisIsHermann.com's Mike Langille
- Photo album from ground crew Doug Brock
- Jefferson City photos from A+ Photography
- Photos by Boda Klenke - Race Start from Richard Berkeley Riverfront Park - Solo Start - Second Start
- Mingle Kansas City
2015, the 10th Annual Missouri River 340, will be known for it's high water, extremely hot first day and "The Storm". Even up to the last hours before the race, a series of thunderstorms rolling across northwestern Missouri pushed river projections for the race very close to flood stage, which would force organizers to close the race course. That never happened and the race went as planned.
This was the largest run ever, with two dramatic starts - first all solos, then tandems and teams. The first day was brutally hot, with many participants quitting the race at one of the first few checkpoints. On the evening of the first night, a storm rolled through Miami to Glasgow. With such high water, racers were forced to find little spots on the muddy banks to hunker down and wait through the storm, which lasted for several hours in some places. One group hunkered down under a riverside cabin and others waited in boat ramp privies for the storm to calm down.
The race leaders largely missed the storm, and this is reflected in the large number of records that fell this race.
News Articles from the 2015 Race
- The Sedalia Observer - "Sedalian to compete in annual river race" - by Randy Kirby, July 22, 2015. About racer Barry Brock.
- Kansas City Star - "Hundreds of paddlers hit the river for the Missouri American Water MR340" - by Austin Huguelet, July 28, 2015; "Canoeists set record in paddling 340 miles from Kansas City to St. Charles, Mo." - by Associated Press, July 30, 2015
- Columbia Missourian - "Columbia river racers gear up to beat the heat for 340 miles" • July 29, 2015 - "Missouri 340 boaters near checkpoint at Katfish Katy's" (includes Twitter compilation) "Checkpoint offers supplies, brief respite for racers in Missouri River 340" • July 30, 2015 - "Swift river drives record times in Missouri River 340" - articles by Kayla Piedemonti - July 27, 2015
- St. Louis Post Dispatch - "Canoeists set a new record for paddling from KC to St. Charles" - • "Texas tandem captures 10th Missouri river race" by Jack Witthaus, July 29, 2015 -
- Jefferson City News-Tribune - "Rescue boat aids river race paddler in distress" - by Jeff Haldiman, July 31, 2015
- Columbia Tribune - "River race leaders stop at Huntsdale" - by Jodie Jackson - July 29, 2015
- South County Times - "Float Trip" by Leslie McCarthy, Aug. 7, 2015 about #0128 (Norco Express)
- Morning Ag Clips - "Conquering the Mighty Mo" about the "AgRowers"
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle - "Gallatin Gateway kayaker finding niche in long-distance races" - by Michael Applegate, Aug. 1, 2015 - about Dave Hutchison
- KRCG-13 - "Coaches canoe to honor 50 years of Jays wrestling" - by Ashley Zavala, July 29, 2015
- News Gazette - "Tough Flow to Row" - by Jodi Heckel, August 11, 2015. About Steven Butler and Nathan Willard.
- Richmond News - "Neither wind, rain nor debris kept Sanson from his goals" - by racer Gary Sanson.
- Lebanon Daily News - "Paddle power: Looking for a racing adventure, J.D. Moore found a three-day rush by kayak down the Missouri River"
- Stunning compilation of aerial video by Columbia artist Paul Jackson - "MR340 - Floating Dreams"
- More stuff from Paul Jackson - Solo Race Start (stunning shot) • Tandem boat start • Quick Clip of the "Ladies of the River" • Sunset at Miami Checkpoint • Foggy morning at Wilson's Serenity Point, Jeff. City • Landing at WSP • Another cool aerial paddling shot • Sunset over Hermann • "A Hole in the Clouds" •
- "And they're off" - video of race start by Shane Keyser, Kansas City Star.
- "Hundreds of paddlers set out on 340-mile canoe trip down Missouri River" - by WDAF Fox TV
- Rusty Self's 340 Recap video
- Time Lapse of Team and Tandem start by Ryan Hartman
- Videos of Jeff and Tab Zuch • Pre Race Start • Race Start • Video 3 • Pit Stop
- KSHB-TV - "Missouri American Water River Race begins at Kaw Point Park"
- "Blake Thornton: No 1 Stand Up Paddler - Darkhorse mathematician sets record in 340-mile river race" - video and article by Washington University.
- 23 minute video of a three man team #1217, Justin Larned, Aaron Hoefer and John Hoefer
- A 16 minute video by Jean Peacock
- Another view of the tandem and team start
- A personal video of a solo boater
- AUDIO - Interview with SUP record holder Blake Thornton and his support crew Victor Wickerhauser
- Official Race Photos by Cindy Hiles Photography
- Missouri River Relief's 2015 Photos
- Kansas City Star Photo Gallery of race start
- TONS of drone photos for download or purchase by Columbia artist Paul Jackson
- Photos by Bernie Arnold - Hermann, July 29 • St. Charles, July 30
- Photos by Brian Waldrop - Hermann, July 29 • More from Hermann
- Photos by Whitney Smith - Cooley Lake, July 28
- A few photos by Kile Brewer at Wilson's Serenity Point - Jefferson City
Blogs and Such
- "We Have Rivers" - a poem by Mitch Story, ground crew for Matthew Story.
- "Boat 0467: The best days of my life that led to the best days of my life" - by Bob Hines.
- "Sega's Bill Romines completes impressive journey" - by Bill Romines
- "2015 Missouri River 340" by Charles Goodson
The 2014 Missouri American Water MR340 was postponed from July to August 12-15 due to flooding in the western half of the race course. It was impossible for many who had registered for the original date to make the reschedule, but still 230 boats with 344 paddlers showed up at Kaw Point Park for the 9th annual MR340.
Temps were mild, even a bit chilly at night, with fog in the early morning hours. River levels were perfect and the Persied meteor showers peppered the night sky with gorgeous streaks. As always, the determination of the racers was inspiring and the hard work and dedication of the race volunteers was impressive. For some, this was the perfect race conditions. 190 boats finished.
This was also the inaugural run for the e-340, the first all-solar-powered boat race on the Missouri River. Five boats entered, two boats started and one boat finished under its own power at Katfish Katy's.
Prerace News Articles
- Columbia Tribune - "River Race Sweeps away Columbia residents" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ed Czebrinski)
- Kansas City Star -"In handcrafted canoe Missouri man and grandson will take river's challenge" - June 22, 2014 (Racers Ken Wodrich and Keaton Schroeder - Team "We Got A Leak")
- Springfield News-Leader - "340 miles in a kayak" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ian Rogers)
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Lee's Summit paddlers join river adventure" - July 3, 2014 (Racers Jane Monroe and Jody Carroll - "Blistered Sisters")
- Public News Service - "Paddlers Prepped to Preserve Clean Water" - July 7, 2014
- ActionHub - "A Race for Conservation: The Missouri American Water MR340" - June 25, 2014
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "Missouri River float trips join St. Charles wine country menu" - June 14, 2014
News Articles from the 2014 Race
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine - "Heroes on the Missouri" by Dave Shively, August 25, 2014
- Kansas City Star -“Safety boat captains serve in the MR340 for the love of the river and a challenge” – by Krystal Thomas, August 12, 2014
- Columbia Daily Tribune -“Massive river race winds through Mid-Missouri” – by Alan Burdziak, August 13, 2014
- KBIA Radio (with audio) - “Missouri Hosts World’s Longest Canoe & Kayak Race” (sic) – by Brandon Kiley
- KCUR Radio (with extended audio) -“Racers paddle across the Missouri River in the MR340” – by Matt Hodap
- KCUR Radio - "Living to tell the tale - Missouri River Racers Make it Home" - Interview with Doug Jennings and Amy Sevcik on "Central Standard"
- Jefferson City News Tribune -“River Racers take welcome break at JC Landing” – by Landon Reeves
- Gangsta translation of KC Star article -"Missouri Riva racerz start they 340-mile tour from KCK"
- Columbia Missourian -"Family support helps man during Missouri River 340 Race" - by Christian Fellwock and Lauren Kastner
- Missouri Ruralist - "No Mama's Boys on this Ag Float Trip" - by Mindy Ward, August 20, 2014
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Sisters Win in River Race" - by Russ Pulley, August 26, 2014
- "2014 MR340 Start to Finish" - Timelapse video by Team Donut and Maple Syrup (Hogan Haake and Jojo Newbold)
- Interview with Joe Wilson – “Man’s love for Missouri River kayak race runs deep. Those strong enough to make it to Jefferson City can enjoy Wilson’s Serenity Point “ posted by Bill Pollack, Missourinet
- Shorts by Team "Take A Shot" - Part 1 • Part 2 • Part 3 • Part 4
- Kansas City Star - Race Start
- Kansas City Star - short about solo pedal driver racer Greg Kolodziejzky
- Kansas City Star - short about former KC Royals pitcher Kevin Appier
- Racers and Ground Crews have been sharing tons of great photos on the MR340 Facebook group
- Photo Gallery by Official Race Photographer Cindy Hiles (available for purchase)
- Gallery of amazing aerial shots by Cindy Hiles
- More amazing aerial shots by Paul Jackson
- Kansas City Star photo gallery - Race Start
- Photos from Hermann Checkpoint posted by "This is Hermann"
- Photo Gallery of Race Start by "Mingle KC"
- Photos from Army Corps of Engineers Napoleon Office
Blogs and Such
- Twitter Feeds - #MR340 • #2014MR340 •
- "The Racing News" - stories from Ground Crew John Brady
- Jojo Newbold - MR340 in multiverse limerick (from the forum)
- 1st Place Women's Tandem - "Blistered Sisters" (Jody Carrol and Jane Monroe)
- "Donut & Maple Syrup" - Hogan Haake and Jojo Newbold
- Alpine Shop Blog - The Mackeen Family
- The Ag Rowers
- Greg Kolodziejzyk's pedal drive blog "Adventures of Greg"
- Team Kruger did the race on the originally scheduled date, flood or no flood! Here's their blog, chock full of photos.
- Blog by Team "Indomitable Spirits" representing craft distiller "Still 630". Part 1 • Part 2 • Part 3 • Part 4 • Part 5
This year was one of the most pleasant races in recent memory, with milder summer temperatures. Lower flows made for a slower race in general, but records were still broken.
2013 Race Results
- Spreadsheet of race results (Google Docs)
Before Race -
- The best article ever written about the MR340? Missouri Conservationist - "Finding Flow on the Mighty Mo" by veteran MR340 paddler Brett Dufur - June 17, 2013
- Dallas Morning News - "White Rock Navy Gears Up for MR340" - July 20, 2013 (interview)
- SUP the Mag - "Alex Linnell takes on the MR340" - July 17, 2013 (interview)
- Columbia Tribune - "Racer ready to settle score in MR340" - July 20, 2013
- Pierre Capital Journal - "Pierre kayaker takes love of sport to Missouri race" - Feb. 25, 2013
During/After Race -
- Kansas City Star - "More than 500 people begin Missouri River race" - July 24, 2013
- Columbia Missourian - "MR340 Race tests Missouri River paddlers' endurance" - July 25, 2013
- St. James Leader Journal - "Mitchell finishes 27th out of 265 at MR340" - July 31, 2013
- St. Charles Patch - "Fans cheer as paddler completes 340 mile race down Missouri River" - July 26, 2013
- Pierre Capital Journal - "Pierre kayaker still paddling after grueling race across Missouri" - August 13, 2013
- Video slideshows by Judith Bailey • "Those Who Paddled the MR340" • "Just Terry from the start to finish" • "What did they say at the MR340" • "MR340 From the River"
- Shane Perrin video shorts • "Checkpoint 1" • "Checkpoint 2" • "Night Checkin" • "Dodging Barges" • "Making Camp" • "Sunrise on the Missouri" • "Prepping for Night Travel" • "180 miles in" • "2013 MR340 Finish Line"
- Race Start at Kaw Point Park
- Bill Pollock interviews for Missourinet - Intro • Joe Mattern, Ground Crew • Virginia and Dodd Mixed Tandem • Melanie and Alan Mixed Tandem
- This is from 2011, but it's awesome! Documentary about Shane Perrin's record breaking SUP race - "Stand Up Guy"
- Post by South Dakota paddler Patrick Wellner in his blog "Pirates of the Missouri"
This year was dominated by the heat. 3-digit temps on several days. 580 paddlers signed up for the race. About 475 started it and approximately 300 finished. Those that finished used all kinds of innovative tricks to keep cool, from jumping into the river at checkpoints to wearing tube socks full of ice around their necks. You'll see as you read the stories below.
Below are a bunch of links to stories, photos and results from the race. Enjoy!
(If you know of some good video, photos or stories about the race, please email us and we'll post it here)
2012 Race Results
- Racers submit photos on the forum
- Official race photographer Cindy Hines slideshows (you can purchase her photos here)
- Mingle: race start photos
- Kansas City Star: MR340 race start Slideshow
- Racer submitted photos on Facebook
- Racer Sam Cebulske's video of race start
- Racer Dick Brumley of Lewistown, MT, at the race start
- KSHB-TV: Missouri River 340 begins with 500 paddlers heading east (very cool aerial footage)
- KCTV -5: Racers battle water, sweltering heat
- FOX-4: Paddlers shove off for Missouri River 340
- KPLR-11: MR340 Canoe Race ends in St. Charles (great video and an interview with racer Joe Zellner)
- Slideshow video from Baton Rouge racer Terry Ginn's ground crew: Part 1 • Part 2
- "Stand Up Guy" Trailer - footage from 2011 MR340 of standup paddler Shane Perrin.
- A Classic - from 2009: MR340 in 10 minutes (by Aaron Waller)
- National Geographic: Top 100 American Adventures
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine: Finding Flow- One paddler's journey in the MR340, the world’s longest nonstop paddling race; an article and photos by veteran 340 racer Brett Dufur
- SUP Magazine: MR 340: 340 Miles, 100 Degree Heat, Two Standup Paddlers
- SUP Magazine: Standup Paddling the World’s Longest River Race
- Kansas City Star: Big Muddy river race is serious about the fun
- Columbia Missourian: Paddlers battle to finish MR340 in high heat
- Columbia Missourian: Columbia pediatrician set to race homemade kayak in MR340
- Columbia Missourian: Maine man returns to race MR340
- Columbia Tribune: Paddlers sweat it out in annual race
- SE Missourian: Local paddler competes in MR340 endurance race
- St. Louis Post Dispatch: Endurance athletes race kayaks in Missouri River
- Gasconade County Republican: Surviving the Missouri River… (…340 that is) (by race volunteer Dave "The River Slave" Marner)
- Kawartha Lakes This Week: Father-daughter team undertake challenge of a lifetime about Carrie and Bill Lanning
- Cass County Democrat-Missourian: Friends remember co-worker who battled cancer about racers Mike Kleinfelter and Kevin Buerge
- Pedal the River - blog by pedal-drive racer Andrew Bates
- Fitness Paddling - 5 Years of Missouri River 340 Race in Reports, Pictures and GPS Tracks - a collection of links related the the MR340 compiled by veteran racer Marek Uliasz
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2017 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.