August 7, 2012
Read up on the MR340 race!
Ground Crews refill a six man racing canoe. photo copyright by Dave Marner
A collection of photos, articles and videos about the MR340
Since 2007, Missouri River Relief has been a partner in the MR340 race - a 340 mile paddling race across the state of Missouri. Racers purchase super cool race stickers and all of that money goes to support our efforts. We bring as many safety boat crews as we can and help up and down the race course.
The Missouri American Water MR340 is a true community event - a community created by the river. To witness the determination of the racers, the grit of the ground crews and the hospitality of the volunteers is a truly inspiring thing. We're proud to be part of this amazing event that has changed the way our state looks at our river. Especially thanks to the Rivermiles crew for putting on such an amazing event and Missouri American Water for sponsoring the race.
This year was dominated by the heat. 3-digit temps on several days. 580 paddlers signed up for the race. About 475 started it and approximately 300 finished. Those that finished used all kinds of innovative tricks to keep cool, from jumping into the river at checkpoints to wearing tube socks full of ice around their necks. You'll see as you read the stories below.
Below are a bunch of links to stories, photos and results from the race. Enjoy!
(If you know of some good video, photos or stories about the race, please email us and we'll post it here)
- Race Results spreadsheet
- MR340 Race Forum (all kinds of interesting photos and stories)
- Rivermiles website
- Past Results
- Rivermiles store
- MR340 DVDs for sale (to benefit Missouri River Relief)
- Racers submit photos on the forum
- Official race photographer Cindy Hines slideshows (you can purchase her photos here)
- Mingle: race start photos
- Kansas City Star: MR340 race start Slideshow
- Racer submitted photos on Facebook
- Racer Sam Cebulske's video of race start
- Racer Dick Brumley of Lewistown, MT, at the race start
- KSHB-TV: Missouri River 340 begins with 500 paddlers heading east (very cool aerial footage)
- KCTV -5: Racers battle water, sweltering heat
- FOX-4: Paddlers shove off for Missouri River 340
- KPLR-11: MR340 Canoe Race ends in St. Charles (great video and an interview with racer Joe Zellner)
- Slideshow video from Baton Rouge racer Terry Ginn's ground crew: Part 1 • Part 2
- "Stand Up Guy" Trailer - footage from 2011 MR340 of standup paddler Shane Perrin.
- A Classic - from 2009: MR340 in 10 minutes (by Aaron Waller)
- National Geographic: Top 100 American Adventures
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine: Finding Flow- One paddler's journey in the MR340, the world’s longest nonstop paddling race; an article and photos by veteran 340 racer Brett Dufur
- SUP Magazine: MR 340: 340 Miles, 100 Degree Heat, Two Standup Paddlers
- SUP Magazine: Standup Paddling the World’s Longest River Race
- Kansas City Star: Big Muddy river race is serious about the fun
- Columbia Missourian: Paddlers battle to finish MR340 in high heat
- Columbia Missourian: Columbia pediatrician set to race homemade kayak in MR340
- Columbia Missourian: Maine man returns to race MR340
- Columbia Tribune: Paddlers sweat it out in annual race
- SE Missourian: Local paddler competes in MR340 endurance race
- St. Louis Post Dispatch: Endurance athletes race kayaks in Missouri River
- Gasconade County Republican: Surviving the Missouri River… (…340 that is) (by race volunteer Dave "The River Slave" Marner)
- Kawartha Lakes This Week: Father-daughter team undertake challenge of a lifetime about Carrie and Bill Lanning
- Cass County Democrat-Missourian: Friends remember co-worker who battled cancer about racers Mike Kleinfelter and Kevin Buerge
- Pedal the River - blog by pedal-drive racer Andrew Bates
- Fitness Paddling - 5 Years of Missouri River 340 Race in Reports, Pictures and GPS Tracks - a collection of links related the the MR340 compiled by veteran racer Marek Uliasz
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2014 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.