July 21, 2015
Read up on the MR340 race!
Ground Crews refill a six man racing canoe. photo copyright by Dave Marner
2015 Missouri American Water MR340 - July 28-31
Kansas City, KS, to St. Charles, MO
A collection of photos, articles and videos about the MR340
It's been a tense week, watching river level projections creep up as storms continue marching across the river valley. But this race is a go and looks to be one of the largest yet. 400 boats are registered for the event, with over 600 paddlers.
Good luck to all the racers - See you on the river!
Since 2007, Missouri River Relief has been a partner in the MR340 race - a 340 mile paddling race across the state of Missouri. Racers purchase super cool race stickers and all of that money goes to support our efforts. We bring as many safety boat crews as we can and help up and down the race course.
The Missouri American Water MR340 is a true community event - a community created by the river. To witness the determination of the racers, the grit of the ground crews and the hospitality of the volunteers is a truly inspiring thing. We're proud to be part of this amazing event that has changed the way our state looks at our river. Especially thanks to the Rivermiles crew for putting on such an amazing event and Missouri American Water for sponsoring the race.
Below is an archive of articles and info about the race going back several years. Enjoy!
General Race Info and Race Tracking
- Live Race Updates and Tracking on raceowl.com
- RaceOwl Race Map, with automated tracking for many of the racers.
- MR340 Race Forum A community forum driven by and for racers.
- MR340 Facebook Group • #MR340 on Facebook
- #MR340 on Twitter
- Link to track all river stage projections on the race course (bit.ly/mr340stages)
- Rivermiles website
- Race Course Map (pdf)
- 2015 Race Roster (400 boats)
- 2015 Race Dispatches - eye-opening paddler's guide to doing this race
- Race Records
- Past Results
- Rivermiles store
- MR340 DVDs for sale (to benefit Missouri River Relief)
- "Sedalian to compete in annual river race" - by Randy Kirby, The Sedalia Observer, July 22, 2015. About racer Barry Brock.
The 2014 Missouri American Water MR340 was postponed from July to August 12-15 due to flooding in the western half of the race course. It was impossible for many who had registered for the original date to make the reschedule, but still 230 boats with 344 paddlers showed up at Kaw Point Park for the 9th annual MR340.
Temps were mild, even a bit chilly at night, with fog in the early morning hours. River levels were perfect and the Persied meteor showers peppered the night sky with gorgeous streaks. As always, the determination of the racers was inspiring and the hard work and dedication of the race volunteers was impressive. For some, this was the perfect race conditions. 190 boats finished.
This was also the inaugural run for the e-340, the first all-solar-powered boat race on the Missouri River. Five boats entered, two boats started and one boat finished under its own power at Katfish Katy's.
Prerace News Articles
- Columbia Tribune - "River Race Sweeps away Columbia residents" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ed Czebrinski)
- Kansas City Star -"In handcrafted canoe Missouri man and grandson will take river's challenge" - June 22, 2014 (Racers Ken Wodrich and Keaton Schroeder - Team "We Got A Leak")
- Springfield News-Leader - "340 miles in a kayak" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ian Rogers)
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Lee's Summit paddlers join river adventure" - July 3, 2014 (Racers Jane Monroe and Jody Carroll - "Blistered Sisters")
- Public News Service - "Paddlers Prepped to Preserve Clean Water" - July 7, 2014
- ActionHub - "A Race for Conservation: The Missouri American Water MR340" - June 25, 2014
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "Missouri River float trips join St. Charles wine country menu" - June 14, 2014
News Articles from the 2014 Race
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine - "Heroes on the Missouri" by Dave Shively, August 25, 2014
- Kansas City Star -“Safety boat captains serve in the MR340 for the love of the river and a challenge” – by Krystal Thomas, August 12, 2014
- Columbia Daily Tribune -“Massive river race winds through Mid-Missouri” – by Alan Burdziak, August 13, 2014
- KBIA Radio (with audio) - “Missouri Hosts World’s Longest Canoe & Kayak Race” (sic) – by Brandon Kiley
- KCUR Radio (with extended audio) -“Racers paddle across the Missouri River in the MR340” – by Matt Hodap
- KCUR Radio - "Living to tell the tale - Missouri River Racers Make it Home" - Interview with Doug Jennings and Amy Sevcik on "Central Standard"
- Jefferson City News Tribune -“River Racers take welcome break at JC Landing” – by Landon Reeves
- Gangsta translation of KC Star article -"Missouri Riva racerz start they 340-mile tour from KCK"
- Columbia Missourian -"Family support helps man during Missouri River 340 Race" - by Christian Fellwock and Lauren Kastner
- Missouri Ruralist - "No Mama's Boys on this Ag Float Trip" - by Mindy Ward, August 20, 2014
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Sisters Win in River Race" - by Russ Pulley, August 26, 2014
- "2014 MR340 Start to Finish" - Timelapse video by Team Donut and Maple Syrup (Hogan Haake and Jojo Newbold)
- Interview with Joe Wilson – “Man’s love for Missouri River kayak race runs deep. Those strong enough to make it to Jefferson City can enjoy Wilson’s Serenity Point “ posted by Bill Pollack, Missourinet
- Shorts by Team "Take A Shot" - Part 1 • Part 2 • Part 3 • Part 4
- Kansas City Star - Race Start
- Kansas City Star - short about solo pedal driver racer Greg Kolodziejzky
- Kansas City Star - short about former KC Royals pitcher Kevin Appier
- Racers and Ground Crews have been sharing tons of great photos on the MR340 Facebook group
- Photo Gallery by Official Race Photographer Cindy Hiles (available for purchase)
- Gallery of amazing aerial shots by Cindy Hiles
- More amazing aerial shots by Paul Jackson
- Kansas City Star photo gallery - Race Start
- Photos from Hermann Checkpoint posted by "This is Hermann"
- Photo Gallery of Race Start by "Mingle KC"
- Photos from Army Corps of Engineers Napoleon Office
Blogs and Such
- Twitter Feeds - #MR340 • #2014MR340 •
- "The Racing News" - stories from Ground Crew John Brady
- Jojo Newbold - MR340 in multiverse limerick (from the forum)
- 1st Place Women's Tandem - "Blistered Sisters" (Jody Carrol and Jane Monroe)
- "Donut & Maple Syrup" - Hogan Haake and Jojo Newbold
- Alpine Shop Blog - The Mackeen Family
- The Ag Rowers
- Greg Kolodziejzyk's pedal drive blog "Adventures of Greg"
- Team Kruger did the race on the originally scheduled date, flood or no flood! Here's their blog, chock full of photos.
- Blog by Team "Indomitable Spirits" representing craft distiller "Still 630". Part 1 • Part 2 • Part 3 • Part 4 • Part 5
This year was one of the most pleasant races in recent memory, with milder summer temperatures. Lower flows made for a slower race in general, but records were still broken.
2013 Race Results
- Spreadsheet of race results (Google Docs)
Before Race -
- The best article ever written about the MR340? Missouri Conservationist - "Finding Flow on the Mighty Mo" by veteran MR340 paddler Brett Dufur - June 17, 2013
- Dallas Morning News - "White Rock Navy Gears Up for MR340" - July 20, 2013 (interview)
- SUP the Mag - "Alex Linnell takes on the MR340" - July 17, 2013 (interview)
- Columbia Tribune - "Racer ready to settle score in MR340" - July 20, 2013
- Pierre Capital Journal - "Pierre kayaker takes love of sport to Missouri race" - Feb. 25, 2013
During/After Race -
- Kansas City Star - "More than 500 people begin Missouri River race" - July 24, 2013
- Columbia Missourian - "MR340 Race tests Missouri River paddlers' endurance" - July 25, 2013
- St. James Leader Journal - "Mitchell finishes 27th out of 265 at MR340" - July 31, 2013
- St. Charles Patch - "Fans cheer as paddler completes 340 mile race down Missouri River" - July 26, 2013
- Pierre Capital Journal - "Pierre kayaker still paddling after grueling race across Missouri" - August 13, 2013
- Video slideshows by Judith Bailey • "Those Who Paddled the MR340" • "Just Terry from the start to finish" • "What did they say at the MR340" • "MR340 From the River"
- Shane Perrin video shorts • "Checkpoint 1" • "Checkpoint 2" • "Night Checkin" • "Dodging Barges" • "Making Camp" • "Sunrise on the Missouri" • "Prepping for Night Travel" • "180 miles in" • "2013 MR340 Finish Line"
- Race Start at Kaw Point Park
- Bill Pollock interviews for Missourinet - Intro • Joe Mattern, Ground Crew • Virginia and Dodd Mixed Tandem • Melanie and Alan Mixed Tandem
- This is from 2011, but it's awesome! Documentary about Shane Perrin's record breaking SUP race - "Stand Up Guy"
- Post by South Dakota paddler Patrick Wellner in his blog "Pirates of the Missouri"
This year was dominated by the heat. 3-digit temps on several days. 580 paddlers signed up for the race. About 475 started it and approximately 300 finished. Those that finished used all kinds of innovative tricks to keep cool, from jumping into the river at checkpoints to wearing tube socks full of ice around their necks. You'll see as you read the stories below.
Below are a bunch of links to stories, photos and results from the race. Enjoy!
(If you know of some good video, photos or stories about the race, please email us and we'll post it here)
2012 Race Results
- Racers submit photos on the forum
- Official race photographer Cindy Hines slideshows (you can purchase her photos here)
- Mingle: race start photos
- Kansas City Star: MR340 race start Slideshow
- Racer submitted photos on Facebook
- Racer Sam Cebulske's video of race start
- Racer Dick Brumley of Lewistown, MT, at the race start
- KSHB-TV: Missouri River 340 begins with 500 paddlers heading east (very cool aerial footage)
- KCTV -5: Racers battle water, sweltering heat
- FOX-4: Paddlers shove off for Missouri River 340
- KPLR-11: MR340 Canoe Race ends in St. Charles (great video and an interview with racer Joe Zellner)
- Slideshow video from Baton Rouge racer Terry Ginn's ground crew: Part 1 • Part 2
- "Stand Up Guy" Trailer - footage from 2011 MR340 of standup paddler Shane Perrin.
- A Classic - from 2009: MR340 in 10 minutes (by Aaron Waller)
- National Geographic: Top 100 American Adventures
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine: Finding Flow- One paddler's journey in the MR340, the world’s longest nonstop paddling race; an article and photos by veteran 340 racer Brett Dufur
- SUP Magazine: MR 340: 340 Miles, 100 Degree Heat, Two Standup Paddlers
- SUP Magazine: Standup Paddling the World’s Longest River Race
- Kansas City Star: Big Muddy river race is serious about the fun
- Columbia Missourian: Paddlers battle to finish MR340 in high heat
- Columbia Missourian: Columbia pediatrician set to race homemade kayak in MR340
- Columbia Missourian: Maine man returns to race MR340
- Columbia Tribune: Paddlers sweat it out in annual race
- SE Missourian: Local paddler competes in MR340 endurance race
- St. Louis Post Dispatch: Endurance athletes race kayaks in Missouri River
- Gasconade County Republican: Surviving the Missouri River… (…340 that is) (by race volunteer Dave "The River Slave" Marner)
- Kawartha Lakes This Week: Father-daughter team undertake challenge of a lifetime about Carrie and Bill Lanning
- Cass County Democrat-Missourian: Friends remember co-worker who battled cancer about racers Mike Kleinfelter and Kevin Buerge
- Pedal the River - blog by pedal-drive racer Andrew Bates
- Fitness Paddling - 5 Years of Missouri River 340 Race in Reports, Pictures and GPS Tracks - a collection of links related the the MR340 compiled by veteran racer Marek Uliasz
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2015 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.