August 6, 2012
Big Muddy Speaker Series - St. Charles
The Big Muddy Speaker Series is a monthly series of presentations on Missouri River ecology, history, biology and more by experts in their field. There are now three locations for the series, in Rocheport, Kansas City and St. Charles.
The St. Charles series is held at 6:30 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at Big A's Restaurant in historic downtown St. Charles.
St. Charles was founded because of its location on the Missouri River. Today we are lucky to have so many experts willing to share their knowledge with us about this amazing river, its floodplain and the nature and history that surrounds it. We're trying to keep the topics varied and interesting, but if you have an interest in the Missouri River, we think you're going to love these.
Special thanks to Big A's Restaurant for giving us the opportunity to use their great restaurant for our series. Please support this great local business!
Here's the rundown on our future scheduled presentations:
- January 9, 2013 - "Close Up on Clean Water" - presentation by Kat Logan Smith, Mo. Coalition for the Environment
- February 13, 2013 - "Prehistoric Cultures of the Lower Missouri" - presentation by Joe Harl, Archaeological Research Center of St. Louis
- March 13, 2013 - "Paddle Strokes Through History - A Big Muddy Adventure on the Lewis & Clark Water Trail" - presentation by canoe outfitter Mike Clark, Big Muddy Adventures
- April 25, 2013 - "Pearls along the River - The Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge" - presentation by Tom Bell, manager of BMNFWR (SPECIAL Time, Date and Location. Please click for all the details)
- May 8, 2013 - "Taming the Wild Muddy - A History of Change on the Missouri River" - presentation by author and historian Jim Denny
- June 12, 2013 - "Location, Location, Location - How Missouri River geography shapes restoration and management options" - presentation by Robert Jacobson, PhD, Chief of River Studies Branch, US Geological Survey
- July 10, 2013 - "One River, One Problem" - presentation by Tony Messenger, St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
To Big A's Restaurant, our host for the Speaker Series.
To get there from I-70 -
- Take I-70 to exit 229B - the 5th St. Exit
- Merge onto 5th St. headed north toward St. Charles.
- After about 1 mile, turn right on Monroe St.
- Turn left onto N. Main St.
- Big A's will be on your right (308 N. Main St.) Additional parking is available in the rear.
- Click here to view on Google Maps.
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2015 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.