December 31, 2012
Big Muddy Speaker Series - Rocheport
The Big Muddy Speaker Series is a monthly series of presentations on Missouri River ecology, history, biology and more by experts in their field. There are now three separate series, in Rocheport, Kansas City and St. Charles!
The Rocheport series is held the second Tuesday of every month in the lower floor of the Les Bourgeois Bistro in Rocheport at 7 p.m.
The Mid-Missouri area is lucky to have so many experts willing to share their knowledge with us about this amazing river, its floodplain and the nature and history that surrounds it. We're trying to keep the topics varied and interesting, but if you have an interest in the Missouri River, we think you're going to love these.
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River.
Here's the rundown on our future scheduled presentations:
- January 8, 2013 - "Monitoring Birds on the Missouri River" - Ethan Duke, the Missouri River Bird Observatory
- February 12, 2013 - "Reading Rings from the River - a 14,000 year history of climate, carbon and change in tree rings" - Dr. Richard Guyette, Forestry Research Professor
- March 5, 2013 - "Close Up on Clean Water" - Kat Logan Smith, Missouri Coalition for the Environment
- April 9, 2013 - "Flush Twice - It's a long way to Eagle Bluffs" - Tim James, Wildlife Management Biologist, Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area
- May 14, 2013 - "Location, Location, Location - How Missouri River Geology shapes Restoration and Management" - Robert Jacobson, PhD, Branch Chief of River Studies, US Geological Survey
- No June Presentation
- July 9, 2013 - "Intersex Sturgeon on the Missouri River? - the effects of emerging contaminants on a big river" - Diana Papoulias, US Geological Survey Columbia Environmental Research Center
- August 13, 2013 - "Prehistory of the Lower Missouri River" - Joe Harl, Archaeological Research Center of St. Louis.
- September 10, 2013 - "Building a Natural Legacy in Boone County" - Roger Still, Audubon Missouri
- October 8, 2013 - "Love Your Big Muddy - One Woman's Adventure on the Missouri River" - paddler Janet Moreland
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It's the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in the lower level. You can either enter at the restaurant entrance then go down the stairs to your left past the bar, or you can follow the walk to the right of the restaurant and enter through a glass door into the lower level.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO (click for Google Map)
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2017 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.