December 31, 2012
Big Muddy Speaker Series - Kansas City
The Big Muddy Speaker Series is a monthly series of presentations on Missouri River ecology, history, biology and more by experts in their field. There are now three separate series, in Rocheport, Kansas City and St. Charles.
The Kansas City series is held at 7:00 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at Hickok's Grill in the Kansas City River Market District. Click here for the next presentation and directions»
Kansas City was founded because of its location on the Missouri River. Today we are lucky to have so many experts willing to share their knowledge with us about this amazing river, its floodplain and the nature and history that surrounds it. We're trying to keep the topics varied and interesting, but if you have an interest in the Missouri River, we think you're going to love these.
Special thanks to Hickok's Grill for giving us the opportunity to use their great restaurant for our series. Please support this great local business!
Here's the rundown on our future scheduled presentations:
- January 8, 2013 - "From Farmland to Floodplain - Restoring Benedictine Bottoms" - presented by Dr. Daniel Bowen
- February 13, 2013 - "Mitigating for Lost Habitat on the Missouri River" - presented by Kasey Whiteman, Mo. Dept. of Conservation
- March 13, 2013 - "No longer Estranged - A History of Urban Rivers" - presented by Amahia Mallea, Asst. Professor of History, Drake University
- April 10, 2013 - "Colter's Run" - presentation by author Conger "Tony" Beasley.
- May 8, 2013 - "Close Up on Clean Water" - presentation by Kat Logan Smith, Director of Environmental Policy for the Missouri Coalition for the Environment
- June 12, 2013 - "Too Much Water, Not Enough Water - Balancing the 'Authorized Purposes' of the Missouri River" - presentation by Larry O'Donnell of Healthy Rivers Partnership, Little Blue River Watershed
- July 10, 2013 - "WaterOne's Extreme Climate Challenges - One utility's experience with Drought and Floods in the
Missouri River Basin" - Tom Schremp, Water 1, Johnson County Water District
From Kansas City, Kansas:
- Take I-70 into Missouri.
- Take exit 2D towards Main St.
- Merge onto W. 6th St.
- Turn left onto Walnut St. Hickok's Grill will be on your left.
From the East:
- Take I-70 into downtown Kansas City.
- Take exit 2F toward Grand St./Walnut St./Oak St.
- Keep left at the fork and merge onto E Independence Ave.
- Turn right onto Walnut St. Hickok's Grill will be on your left.
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2015 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.