MRR in the News
November 3, 2014
Our 2014 Big Muddy Clean Sweep was a two-month journey across the middle of Missouri, bringing hundreds of people down to the river to clean it up and learn about it. Here's some of the media that was published about the adventure.
Glasgow to Boonville Clean Sweep
- "Cleaning up the Big Muddy" - photo slideshow and blog by Missouri Life staff.
- "River Cleanup and Festival Afterglow" - Boonville Daily News Column by uber-volunteer Joan Read
- "River Cleanup turnout greater than expected" - Boonville Daily News article, Sept. 22, 2014
- "Big Muddy Clean Sweep makes waves in Boonville" - KOMU story and video, Sept. 20, 2014
- "Trash turned art is showcased at Boonville River Festival" - KOMU story with photos about Boonville High School art teacher Helen Sander's students and their trash-to-art exhibit at the River Festival.
- KBIA's Thinking Out Loud River Festival segment
- "Volunteers Clean Up Missouri River" - KRCG 13
- Two part article (w/audio) from "Missouri Environment" series on KBIA 91.3 - by Gary Grigsby "Columbia Organization Provides Connection to the Missouri River" - "Making a connection with the Big Muddy while cleaning it up"
- Boonville Event Page
Cooper's Trash Bash
- "Trash, Traffic and Transformations" - blog by the Blackwater Drifters, Joe Zimmerman and Nick Caizza who are paddling the Missouri/Mississippi Rivers Source to Sea and filming a movie.
Jefferson City Clean-up and Race to the Dome
- "Despite High Water Group Cleans Missouri River near Jefferson City" - blog by Jessica Stone, Muddy Boots News at MU.
- "Race to the Dome supports Missouri River" - by Mark Slavit, KRCG-TV 13
- Jefferson City Event Page
Octoberfest Trash Bash in Hermann & Art Auction in McKittrick
- "River Relief's 'Clean Sweep' Makes Return to Hermann" - Gasconade County Republican
- "Weather Interrups River Relief's Learning Festival but not Learning" - Oct. 22 editorial by Dave Marner
- "Artists and River Rats: Supporting the Cultural Ecology of the Missouri River" - from Art of the Rural by Tina Casagrand
- Hermann Event Page
Video | February 13, 2012
Missouri River Relief has been lucky to have a bunch of great videos made on our project. It makes it easier to convey our mission to people to have some visual aids. Here's some links for a bunch of great videos.
- "Pelican Island Adventure" - In March 2013, we spent a chilly couple of days on Pelican Island Natural Area, 16 miles from the Confluence, with a group of students and teachers from John Burroughs High School. Romanian graduate student Roxi Pop joined us and produced this wonderful video about the experience.
- "Big Muddy Clean Sweep" - Jodi Pfefferkorn produced this sweet film with video she took during our 2011 clean-up by barge along with pieces by volunteers Andy Bugh and Alicia Pigg. It's a fun look at our biggest cleanup yet, the Big Muddy Clean Sweep. Music by Noah Earle.
- "Big Muddy" - Filmmaker John Beatty put together this piece about our Big Muddy Clean Sweep at the Confluence in Oct. 2011. Includes great commentary by Vicki Richmond. Click here to view film»
- "Gathered by Thousands, Measured in Tons" - Jodi Pfefferkorn put together this short piece from footage by Jim Karpowicz using music by Noah Earle and the Discovery String Band. Click here to view film»
- Missouri Outdoors - River Relief has been featured many times on the discontinued nature series sponsored by Missouri Dept. of Conservation. Click here for a list of great videos»
- "The Price of Water" - a nice documentary from Nebraska Public Television - part of an hourlong segment on water issues in the state. Click here to view film»
- Patagonia MegaScout Video - Filmed by Jim Karpowicz & Charlotte Overby. Follows our 2006 MegaScout, a 754 mile Missouri River trash-mapping journey. Click here to view film»
- Karp's Korner - some of the fun, personal clips put together by Missouri River Relief founder Jim Karpowicz. Click here for more»
Article | January 3, 2012
Missouri River Relief has been featured in many newspaper articles and TV spots throughout the basin.
Here's a rolling list of some select articles and TV news clips:
Aug. 13, 2014 - Kansas City Star - "Safety Boat Captains serve in the MR340 for the love of the river and the challenge" - Click here»
Aug. 10, 2014 - Columbia Tribune - "Pulse Shots: Cleaning up the Big Muddy" - a series of photos from our "Meet the Big Muddy - Summers @ Mizzou Summer Camp". Click here»
Sept. 15, 2013 - Columbia Tribune - "Race to the Dome Features Good Natured Competition" Click here»
Sept. 7, 2013 - WOWT-TV, Omaha, NE - "Volunteers Take to Missouri River for Clean-up" with great video! Click here»
June 13, 2013 - Washington Missourian - "Missouri River Clean-up Nets Three Tons of Trash" Click here»
April 22, 2013 - Re-Discover Washington - "Washington River Festival & Clean-up 2013" - Photo Essay by Slava Peteva-Bowman. Click here»
April 15, 2013 - Washington Missourian - "The Big Muddy" - an educational graphic produced by the Missouri Press Association and Missouri River Relief. Click here»
Feb. 25, 2013 - The Waterways Journal - "Cleanup Organization Works the Missouri River". Click here»
Dec. 30, 2012 - Gasconade County News Live - "Van Booven and Geltz credited with multiplying 'Hermann Beach' clean-up effort of 16 other volunteers". Click here»
Oct 16, 2012 - Action 41 News Kansas City, MO - "Project gives students hands-on experience with keeping the Missouri River clean" . Click here»
Oct 7, 2012 - KQ 2 TV St. Joseph, MO - "Area Volunteers Help Clean Up the Missouri River" . Click here»
Sept. 23, 2012 - KETV Channel 7 News Omaha, NE- "Hundreds of Volunteers clean up Missouri River". Click here»
Sept. 22, 2012 - WOWT Channel 6 News Omaha, NE- "River Cleanup Yields The Unusual Amid The Trash". Click here»
Oct 29, 2011 - Columbia Tribune - "Missouri River Trash Yields a few treasures" - messages in bottles always make good stories. Click here»
October 5, 2011 - Washington Missourian -"We All Live Downstream" (with video) Click here»
October 12, 2011 - Gasconade Republican - "MoRR Learning Festival draws praise from area administrators" Click here»
May 2011 - Sioux City Journal - "River Cleanup Yields Kilo of Cocaine, Police Believe" We wish they focused more on the volunteer effort, but there you go...(this link also includes a couple of video clips from local TV stations) Click here»
April 2011 - Omaha World Herald - "Volunteers Clean Up River Trash" Click here»
March 2011 - Kansas City Star - "For Blue River Cleanup, Organizers Hope for 1,000 Volunteers" (features our 2006 MegaScout map and talks about upcoming Big Muddy Clean Sweep) Click here»
March 2011 - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "Cleanup group goes to the air to map Missouri River trash" Click here»
April 2010 - Washington Missourian - "Volunteers Cleanup Missouri River" with photo gallery. Click here» also, check out a great letter to the editor printed in the Missourian following the event»
September 2009 - Jefferson City News Tribune - "Caretakers of the Mighty Mo." Also includes a staff editorial. Click here (pdf)»
June 2009 - Dakota County Star - "Siouxland Missouri River Clean-up June 27" Click here»
April 2009 - Columbia Missourian - "Missouri River Relief volunteers attempt to clean up the river" (with multi-media slideshow) Click Here»
May 2008 - Prairie Fire Newspaper - "Grassroots Boots on the Muddy River" Click Here»
May 2008 - Boonville Daily News - "New Franklin Students Clean Up at Franklin Island" (with photo slideshow) Click Here»
August 2007 - St. Louis Suburban Journals - "Pokin Around: Mission Possible - Commando Volunteers Help Clean up Missouri River" (an awesome personal column about volunteering at a clean-up in St. Charles, MO) Click Here»
Article | January 2, 2012
Sept 2013 - Vox Magazine - "Flooding affects efforts of Missouri River Relief" Click here»
April 2011 - Vox Magazine - "On the Job: River Conservationist" - an interview with MRR Director Jeff Barrow by Samantha Sonderen. Click here»
August 2010 - Inside Columbia - "Missouri River Relief - How Can I Help?" by Anita Neal Harrison. A great overview of our work. Click Here»
July 2010 - Missouri Wildlife - "Missouri River Relief: 800 Miles Cleaned Since 1991" by Jeff Barrow, Director of Missouri River Relief. Click Here»
May 2010 - Missouri Conservationist - "I Am Conservation" by Jim Low, MO Dept. of Conservation. A nice piece about Missouri River Relief, Stream Team 1875. Click Here»
April 2008 - Rural Missouri Magazine - "River Relief - Removing Refuse Helps One Group Reconnect Citizens with Missouri's Rivers" by Jason Jenkins. About our 2008 Mari-Osa Dump Clean-up on the Osage River. Click Here»
Article | October 11, 2011
Our Big Muddy Clean Sweep is the flagship project of our 10th Anniversary. We're cleaning up the river by barge from Jefferson City to St. Louis. It's been fun seeing media coverage in all the towns we visit. Here's a sample:
- KSDK Channel 5 St. Louis - Nov. 2, 2011 - "Non-profit Moves on Cleanup Efforts on Missouri River"
- Gateway Television News - Nov. 7, 2011 - "City Limits - Missouri River Relief"
- Columbia Tribune - Oct. 29, 2011 - "Missouri River Trash Yields a Few Treasures"
- St. Louis Beacon - Oct. 27, 2011 - "Help Clean up the Missouri River and get Lunch for Free"
- St. Louis Today - Oct. 25, 2011 - "Volunteers needed for Confluence Clean-up"
- St. Louis Today - Oct. 20, 2011 - "Missouri River Clean-up Campaign Hits St. Charles Saturday"
- O'Fallon Community News - Oct. 19, 2011 - "Big Muddy Clean Sweep"
- Washington Missourian - Oct. 19, 2011 - "Thumbs up for a Clean River! Riverfest, Clean-up Photos"
- Gasconade County Republican - Oct. 12, 2011 - "MoRR Learning Festival draws praise from area administrators"
- Washington Mo. News + Video - Oct. 5, 2011- "Big Muddy Clean Sweep will bring Educational Activities, River Clean-up to Washington next week"
- Gasconade County Republican - Oct. 5, 2011 - "Good, clean, trashy fun with Missouri River Relief"
- CountyNewsLive.com (Hermann) - Oct. 4, 2011 -"Gasconade County students volunteer to clean Mo. River banks and learn more about river ecosystem"
- Missouri Net - Oct. 3, 2011 - "Missouri River Clean-up Begins"
- Blue Springs Examiner - Oct. 1, 2011 - "River Relief begins Big Muddy Clean Sweep"
- Columbia Missourian - September 26, 2011 - "Missouri River Relief Celebrates 10th Anniversary with Big Muddy Cleanup"
- KOMU News - September 21, 2011 - "Missouri River Relief Celebrates 10 Years."
- Washington Missourian - September 12, 2011 - "Big Muddy Clean Sweep, River Festival, Coming in October"
- Gasconade County Republican - August 31, 2011 - "Missouri River Relief plans Learning Festival for county students in Hermann in October"
- Columbia Tribune - July 2, 2011 - "River Advocates Hatch Cleanup Plan"
- NRDC Switchboard - July 15, 2011 - "What do Whitebark Pine and Missouri River Trash have in common?"
- River Notes Blog - March 7, 2011 - "River Relief Celebrates 10 Years of Good Clean/Trashy Fun, makes Congressional Record."
Video | April 27, 2011
This video was put produced by Jodi Pfefferkorn of Flaming Fiddle Productions with help from Woodruff Sweitzer. It's a great snapshot of the work Missouri River Relief volunteers have done to change the face of the Missouri River. It features music by Noah Earle and Cathy Barton & Dave Para. Includes footage by Jim Karpowicz of The Documentary Group (3:46 min)
Audio | March 25, 2010
Here's a few radio stories and interviews done with Missouri River Relief staff & volunteers.
- Interview with Steve Schnarr about the Big Muddy Clean Sweep and the 2012 Wild & Scenic Film Festival. From the weekly show "Under the Microscope" on KBIA 91.3 radio in Columbia. Click here for webpage» Click here for audio»
- Interview with River Relief Director Jeff Barrow, Steve Johnson of Missouri River Communities Network, Ken Midkiff of Sierra Club and Scott Mansker of Rivermiles on Intersection - KBIA 91.3 radio in Columbia. Click here for video of interview» (May 16, 2011 - 1 hour)
- Interview with Jeff Barrow about the Aerial MegaScout, the Missouri River and where all that trash comes from. On KBIA 91.3 radio. Click here for story and audio clip» Click here for reporter Courtney Flatt's blog post about producing the story» (April 14, 2011)
- Interview with Chad Pregracke and Steve Schnarr on Don Marsh's St. Louis on the Air show on KWMU in St. Louis. Click here for archive page» Click here for audio clip (1 hr)» (March 24, 2010)
- Audio story about April 18, 2009 Rocheport Bend Day of Caring aired on KBIA Public Radio in Columbia. Click here for (real media) audio clip»
- Interview with Vicki Richmond and EPA's Larry Shepard on KCUR's Walt Bodine Show in Kansas City. Click here for audio clip» Click here to download» (Oct. 4, 2007)
Video | March 13, 2009
Video | March 10, 2009
This segment is from a great documentary produced by Nebraska Public TV about restoration of water supplies. This segment covers our first Omaha/Council Bluffs Missouri River Clean-up in 2006. Click here for their webpage»
Or view the Missouri River Relief segment hosted on Vimeo and posted here.
Video | March 5, 2009
One of our founders, Jim Karpowicz, is also a documentary producer. His production company is called The Documentary Group.
Every once in a while, he'll put together a special clip for us highlighting a special moment in Missouri River Relief history. Here's a few:
River Camp: The Movie! (2009 - 6:13) - Using a narration from Meredith Ludwig's Compost Pile radio program and music by "Naked Dave" Bandy, this video shows our 2009 River Camp Sandbar Banquet on beautiful California Island in the Manitou Bluffs. Click here to check it out»
Missouri Stream Team 1875 (2009 - 3:27) - Jim produced an award-winning documentary covering the 20th Anniversary of the Missouri Stream Team Program. Here's a clip about Missouri River Relief» Or you can watch the whole show»
Le Flume (2009 - 2:34) - A glimpse at the trash flume we used to clean-up the Mari-Osa Dump in 2009. Click here to check it out»
Video | April 22, 2008
Outdoor clothing company Patagonia was one of the sponsors for our 2006 MegaScout 754 mile trash survey of the Big Muddy. Now they've posted a fantastic film about the trip, produced by MRR crewmembers Charlotte Overby and Jim Karpowicz. Check out the video on the Patagonia Blog, The Cleanest Line.
www.riverrelief.org is created and maintained by Missouri River Relief, P.O. Box 463, Columbia, MO 65205
Copyright © 2014 Missouri River Relief, photos copyright © their respective owners
| Site designed and built by Josh Nichols.